Thursday, June 19, 2008

as nails not fastened...

I have been toying with the idea of starting a blog… my wife thought it very unlike me (it is). My brother advised against it as it would be a time suck (it may be). But here I am. I’ve scanned some theology blogs to get a handle on how I might get started. Ben Meyers offered a theological history of blogging to start Faith and Theology. James K.A. Smith shared his vision for Fors Clavigera. Der Evangelische Theologe decided to cut to the chase with an intro-by-way-of-FAQ.

With all that’s out there, starting a theology blog is an intimidating venture… but this may be a perfect time for me to jump in, while everyone is looking the other way at conferences on Barth or Augustine. I think I’ll begin by explaining the title of my blog as a way of sharing my thoughts about what it is I intend to do.

From Ecclesiastes 12:11, “The words of the wise are as goads; and as nails well fastened are the words of the masters of assemblies, which are given from one shepherd.” The Vulgate speaks of these words “as nails deeply fastened in”… “quasi clavi in altum defixi.”

Clavi non defixi is a place to offer thoughts about theology and other subjects of interest to me. The conversations (diatribes? shouts out into an empty audience?) here will (I hope!) be well considered, though not burdened by the need to be “words of the wise”. These thoughts are not as nails fastened deeply in; on the contrary, they are clavi non defixi.

1 comment: