Sunday, April 5, 2009

A few items...

  • This has been out for a month and a half, but it's worth reading if you haven't read it already. An interview with Bishop Fellay reveals some more details about what was happening behind the scenes leading up to the lifting of the SSPX excommunication in January.
  • Brian Leiter discusses summer programs for brushing up on/learning German.
  • Two pieces related to publishing. I mentioned a little while back that I had some thoughts on the state of academic publishing that I might share at some point, but I also don't want to put my foot in my mouth by commenting on such a sprawling and diverse enterprise. For now, you can read some of what I'm reading. This piece plays off of the dumb "our industry should get a bailout too!" genre that has popped up over the past few months. Ignoring that silliness, there are some interesting thoughts on publishing and books. Also, some news on the legal wranglings of GoogleBooks. Both of these pieces get into the dilemma of print v. digital, which would also be worth talking about at some point.
  • Remember the whole "Encyclopedia of Christian Civilization" fiasco back in February? I do... it did more for my viewer count than anything else since I started clavi non defixi. Yesterday I tracked back visitor traffic from this blog to this blog, which apparently is hosted by a contributor to the encyclopedia. Take a look around at the "objective" contributors to the encyclopedia... a lovely Blogger profile description: "Waging a Counter-Jihad since 9-11-2001" with a long history of anti-Islamic posts to back it up. This is just one more example of why it's pretty reasonable to assume that, contrary to Kurian's complaints, Wiley-Blackwell made the right decision in pulling the project. That's not to say that all contributors were guilty of this nonsense- I'm sure most of them weren't, and it's unfortunate that they're tied into this now (btw, I'd take that line off the CV if I were you, at least until things get straightened out!). But the project seems from all public information to have been pretty worthy of its editorial critique.

No comments:

Post a Comment