Sunday, July 12, 2009

Wordpress v. Blogger

I was fooling around with Wordpress the other day and imported a copy of Clavi Non Defixi over there. I don't have any plans to make a move, but I thought I'd try it out and see what the grass is like on the other side. I also may make some posts over at Wordpress and import them here over the next few weeks, just to get the experience from the other side.

Even if Wordpress offers a bit more than Blogger, I just don't see the use of moving over there and either forcing readers to update links or to lose track of me. Never mind all of the older links and what will happen to them... of course I could (probably would) leave this site up so as not to contribute to link rot, but I would prefer to delete everything here and clean up after myself a bit... not leave too much clutter in the blogosphere.

So, I'm not planning to move clavi non defixi, although if I ever have reason to start another blog it might be at Wordpress, just for a change of scenery. Does anyone have opinions on the comparison?

5 comments:

  1. I think I like the Blogger better for reading--something about the aesthetics; it feels cleaner? I think I could like the tag cloud in Wordpress, but not enough to make up for the rest.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for your thoughts, Melody. Another issue with Blogger is that you can't do trackbacks, alerting other sites to the fact that you've linked to them. There are steps you can take to get around this missing function, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to feel confident adding the necessary code that people have provided.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've used both ;-) over the yrs. I think WP is just "cleaner;" whatever that means :-).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Btw, Evan,

    I was wondering what the picture, you're using for your blog header, is a picture of (the cross with the little roof over it)?

    ReplyDelete
  5. The picture was taken at a small wooden chapel behind the Cathedral of Christ the Savior, in Moscow. The cross is outside of the chapel, and I caught a picture of it with a pigeon perched on top. I've tried to track down more information on this chapel since my visit, but haven't had any luck. If I recall correctly, I think this chapel stood where the original chapel- that would become the famous Cathedral- was built. But I might be wrong on that.

    I took the picture in May 2005. I have some more pictures of the chapel itself, and if I can track them down, I'll post them.

    ReplyDelete