Friday, February 12, 2010

Augustine's Manichaean Dilemma


I was surprised to find this book while I was browsing the Regenstein Library yesterday, as I hadn't heard about it yet. Jason David BeDuhn, who has published extensively on Manichaeism, has put out the first of a projected three volumes on Augustine's Manichaean Dilemma. BeDuhn traces Augustine's relationship with Manichaean thought as a corrective to perspectives based too heavily on Augustine's own later and more idealized account of his conversion. The book is listed as a 2009 release by Penn Press, but I believe that it actually came out in 2010.

1 comment:

  1. Saw it at AAR this year and was intrigued... It i A bold project. I will be interested to see the full spectrum of his argument.

    However, the assertion that "Augustine never really *got over* his Manichaeism" (an assertion I have heard from not a few scholars; typically those who don't work in the Augustinian corpus) always strikes me as dismissive and unhelpful...

    Perhaps BeDuhn will provide a little more fodder for that discussion.

    ReplyDelete