Monday, May 17, 2010

A few items...

  • A new blog worth following, Studying Friedrich Schleiermacher.  Matthew is a doctoral student in theology and religious studies at Northwestern (and, if I'm not mistaken, also went to Wheaton and the University of Chicago Divinity School).   h/t Philosophy, Lit, etc.
  • Ben discusses Korean Barthian theology and issues of reception.  The question of reception has interested me more generally lately... not simply in cross-cultural situations, but even within a single cultural environment I think the complexities of making a tradition at home with itself can be under-considered.  There are some great resources to follow through here, and Ben is also looking for bibliographical information on Sung-Bum Yun, if anyone can offer assistance.
  •  In an interesting History and Theory article that just came out, Herman Paul draws attention to the fact that the crisis of historicism actually had an intellectual impact a bit wider than simply the university discussions.

    3 comments:

    1. Hi,

      Thanks for the nod to "Studying Schleiermacher," though I'm not sure how you found it. I can't even find it with a google search.

      I'll put a link to your blog on "Studying Schleiermacher," and please feel free to suggest any other blogs that you think would be relevant for me, based on the Schleiermacher thing.

      Oh, I am indeed a Wheaton alumn. Is it that obvious? lol.

      Great blog, by the way.

      ReplyDelete
    2. Hey Matthew, thanks for stopping by. I noticed your blog through Philosophy, Lit, etc. (linked above). I don't know how Paul found you, but he seems to have pretty much the whole internet up his sleeve with all of the prolific linking that he does.

      I rowed with your sister-in-law at Wheaton and she mentioned a while back that you were at the Divinity School. I meant to introduce myself to you at some point, but we never ended up crossing paths.

      ReplyDelete
    3. I am very late in coming to the Liverpool series, but have found it immensely helpful (if not always edited as tidy as possible). I used both the volume on Themistius and the one on Ambrose in the same paper this semester. In light of the SVS Popular Patristics (hilarious title, btw) series and the Routledge Early Church Fathers, there is really a wealth of translations on Late Antique texts available these days.

      This is something to cheer about.

      ReplyDelete