Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The future of clavi non defixi, as well as some less substantive points...

I've been thinking a bit about what I want to do with clavi non defixi as I move into doctoral studies this fall, and now that the summer is here I'll probably have a bit more time to brainstorm/try a few things out.  I was strongly considering moving to a more stable format where the content would mostly stay unchanging and blogging would play a smaller role, but I think I'm neither technical nor patient enough to put together a veritable website like that.  I may, however, make some more use of Google sites than I have thus far, and tie them in with the blog more extensively.  I have a few sites that haven't been made public but contain a lot of links to sources for research (of the sort that I mention here often enough), and I may polish something like that up and make it more central to clavi non defixi as a public feature.  I've tested out WordPress to see if it would be a better place for this, but just can't get the hang of it... it seems like it has more to offer than Blogger, but it's been too much of a pain to use in comparison.  So I'll probably remain here, which will be easier for those who are already subscribed.  I suppose there's always a chance that I may stop blogging altogether in the near future... the idea has been tempting... but I think that the ability to get to know and work with other people through this format has been quite beneficial, and is probably worth the effort.  So I do intend for all of this to continue, whether or not the day-to-day updates will remain in force quite as strongly as they have been.

I don't know what my purpose was in starting the blog, exactly, but since that time it has primarily become a platform for helping to share resources and think alongside folks who work in theology as an academic discipline.  My concern is mostly to tend to the sort of infrastructure required to do good theological work, rather than to actually do the work itself on this blog (although I do venture into constructive comments occasionally).  I've also strayed more and more into neighboring fields of study, and I hope the benefits of interdisciplinary considerations outweigh the limitations of a generalist mentality.  I've never been too comfortable in discussing my own research publicly unless it's forthcoming or in print (the Le Roy paper that I brought up recently is, I think, my only Chicago paper that I've even hinted at here).  Actually, this blog has been a great place to get away from what I'm writing papers on and look at some other things that are somewhat related though not central to my own projects.  So I don't think that this will become a place to share my doctoral research over the next few years.  The subject focus will probably look a lot like it has over the past two years.

In the realm of rather superficial points, I've changed the look of the place ever so slightly.  I've always liked the Garamond font, and I'm proud (probably inordinately so) to say that I looked up how to change the html format so that the text is in Garamond rather than one of the less-classy choices offered by Blogger.  I've also changed the page background to white rather than the light gray that I normally use.  I'm not sure what I think about this.  Sometimes I feel like it's too dark here and I want to lighten it up, but I also like gray because it's a bit easier on the eyes than a stark white computer screen.  So that may shift back to the usual background in a bit (update... well, that didn't take long.  I'm back to the gray backdrop).

8 comments:

  1. If I may suggest something about your design: you might want to make the font-size of your posts a bit bigger. I find it difficult to read the Garamond at normal magnification, and have now had to preset this blog to zoom in a bit.

    Just a thought.

    I hope you keep blogging, as you're always enjoyable to read!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Robert, thanks for the thoughts... I just increased the font size a bit. I prefer it smaller, but I think you're right. It just won't do, for readability's sake.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I found my own blogging disappearing almost entirely in coursework. You do what you have to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Evan, I have really enjoyed all the information you have put up on your blog--especially forth coming articles and other journal information. Congrats on starting doctoral work at UoC. Do you know who you will be studying with?

    ReplyDelete
  5. This has become one of my favourites blogs, so I hope it won't become too "stable"! (Love Garamond, too.)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Evan, yours is definitely one of the more unique and informative blogs—and what's more, the megalomaniacal ethos of the theoblogosphere doesn't lurk around here often.

    I know regular posting is best for blogs and regular readership, but I've never bought into that, as my daily routine just wouldn't allow for it. What I'm trying to say is that even if you don't post every day, this place will still be worth coming to. The content is the draw.

    ReplyDelete
  7. By the way, I've been thinking of an earlier discussion/blog post about academic theology and its relationship to the church. The more I think about it, the more I'm inclined to speak like a fool and say something like "Doing theology without an eye on the church is useless — a chasing after the wind."

    I'm sure you have a nuanced disagreement. Maybe I'll try to find that old post on here and give it the once over again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Do find it, and remind me of it... these issues have been consistently on my mind for some time; I'd be happy to discuss it. And I think I'm more of an "ecclesial theologian" than I sometimes sound. Much of my caution and concern is a result of personally wrestling with various aspects of the Christian life, and not necessarily a fully-formed statement.

    ReplyDelete