Monday, November 29, 2010

Marion lecture on Christian Philosophy

I mentioned Jean-Luc Marion's lecture "Is there a Christian Philosophy?" a few weeks ago, and it was suggested that I discuss the talk here at clavi non defixi.  Apparently the lecture is now online, so now you can see it for yourself and I don't have to worry about pulling together some sort of debriefing from my complete lack of note-taking that evening.  (and thanks to Kyle for posting this)


"Is There a Christian Philosophy?" from The Lumen Christi Institute on Vimeo.

2 comments:

  1. Excellent, thanks for passing it along.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Evan,

    Just got around to watching this. Thank you. I was quite struck by his phenomenological take on 1 John 3:2 ("Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it does not yet appear what we shall be") at the end of his talk. I'm drawn to a Gilsonian defense of the notion of Christian philosophy even though I see the force of some of the objections Marion cites. I tend to think that the much-maligned distinction (dialectic?) between reason and faith, and the notion that reason opens upon aporiae it needs revelation to navigate, has a great deal of life left in it.

    ReplyDelete