Monday, April 4, 2011

Invitation for prospective Div School students...

I was reminded that this Friday is Prospective Students' Day at the University of Chicago Divinity School.  As April 15th draws near we're hosting those students who have been accepted so they can see Swift Hall, meet faculty and students, and hopefully make the decision to stick around for a graduate program if the school seems right for them.  During the last Prospective Students' Day I was happy to meet a student or two who were readers of this blog, and I thought I'd speak up ahead of time this year in case any readers will be visiting this Friday.  I'll be around during the day and would love to meet you!  There's usually some relatively open time in the afternoon, and I'll buy you a coffee (or early... I do mornings and I'm free until 9).  Just email me.

I don't think UChicago has the critical mass of theology bloggers that places like Princeton, Notre Dame, Duke, or Marquette do, so I try to bring attention to the program as much as possible.  With any luck I've convinced a few of you to apply along the way. 

4 comments:

  1. Is this free coffee only for prospective students or can current students get in on it too?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Much as expectant daddies need their coffee... I'll see you at the PhD coffee hour and call that our date. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your reference to schools with scores of bloggers got me thinking: has anyone documented this? For example, I'm not aware of a fellow serious theology blogger at Emory/Candler, but I could be wrong; and I'm not aware of one up at Yale apart from Sonja at WIT. You? Has someone put this list together? I'd be interested in looking into it, as well as in how one would "count" blogs (since plenty of people have casual blogs, or blogs they don't expect anyone else to read but a few close friends, etc.).

    ReplyDelete
  4. It would be interesting to see an institutional breakdown of theology bloggers... I wonder if it would turn up any surprises. It seems to me that there are multiple "circles" in blogging, and while sometimes they converge at a central point like Faith & Theology, they're often well-kept secrets from each other. There's a broad theology blogosphere that is at least loosely mutually known, but there are also various philosophical blogging circles that interact with the theology circles to a certain extent and attract a smaller portion of theology bloggers to their own conversations. Then there are biblical studies blog circles, confessionally reformed circles (who are the favorite punchline of other theology blogs), traditionalist Catholic circles... all pretty robust blogging conversations. Any attempted list would, I think, be as fascinating as it would be unruly. It may be more manageable if one considered a shortlist of 10-25 schools.

    ReplyDelete