Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Michaelis - Syntagma Commentationum

My newest acquisition, for $10 from the library's used book sale. The volume is in wonderful condition and consists of collected writings of Johann David Michaelis in German and Latin. The collection seems to have been published in portions over the course of a decade or so, beginning in 1759. I don't foresee myself making any immediate research use of this, but it's one of those sorts of items that I try to be on the look-out for, purely as a matter of maintaining a collection. I think this is the oldest volume I own.





















3 comments:

  1. I saved you $10.

    You're welcome.

    My oldest book is from the 1830s - a history of Massachusetts. Marie had one from her dad from the 1500s!!! It was a little beat-up, but I was hoping she'd give it to me rather than take it all the way to New Mexico. Alas...

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a fascinating account of Michaelis' influence on modern biblical studies, have a look at Michael Legaspi's recent book, "The Death of Scripture and the Rise of Biblical Studies" (Oxford, 2010).

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the only place I could find the book listed for sale... priced at € 450,00. Not too bad of a find!

    ReplyDelete