Thursday, November 8, 2012

Today's bibliographic acquisitions...

The library used book sale has been going on this week, and it's a great time to get some valuable material. This time around they had a handful of 19th century German works that I decided to add to the personal library. As I go on in doctoral studies, I become increasingly aware that finishing the program in a few years will also likely mean never again having a world-renowned research library like this to call my home library. The University of Chicago doesn't have a perfect collection, and I still need to use ILL every week or so, but here I can go in search of a relatively obscure text without being resigned from the beginning to the fact that it probably won't be on the shelves.

There are a lot of old theology monographs and journals to be found digitized online, but I'm becoming increasingly militant in my commitment to the physical documents and have decided to slowly stockpile an arsenal of texts to fend against any possible disaster that might render digitized representations inaccessible. I strongly support digitizing efforts, but not as a floating currency. I will continue to hoard the paper standard.

So, I bought a few books; nothing amazing, but all in the name of incremental additions to my 19th century German works, which has really become my focus outside of the contemporary literature. I found a pile of Theologische Studien und Kritiken issues from the 1830's, 50's, and 60's in very bad condition, but I've been using the journal a fair amount and thought it would be good to have some of it in print. Included in the pile, I discovered when I came home, were some other items - three issues of Zeitschrift für die gesammte lutherische Theologie und Kirche, with which I wasn't familiar, and a few loose items including a study of Hebrews, and what appears to be the contents of a bishop's personal library (for sale at auction?) and a publisher's newsletter/catalog.

In addition to this assortment of papers, I brought home three monographs that were in much better condition: Carl Schulz, Die Union (1868) ; A volume from August Tholuck's Vermischte Schriften on apologetics (1839); and a Latin volume by an Aug. Gotth. Gernhardi on issues of grammar and other topics.


 






All that, along with a copy of Ebeling's Word and Faith - $16.

5 comments:

  1. Get me any Christmas presents?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No- I looked a bit, but didn't see anything that I thought you'd be especially interested in.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How is your reading of the Franktur script? I still really struggle with it, but I don't spend much time reading it either. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It gets much easier after a while... a few pauses with f/s and a few letters like z, k, B/V depending on the type... but it's just like any other script where you get used to it after a while. What I've heard is very difficult to learn to read is handwriting, but I'd love to get into that a bit when I have some time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Epigraphy? Now that is something I could get into! I didn't know you theologians did anything interesting ;) I have heard the same things about Rashi script, but I really like just normal writing...unless its cuneiform, then I just want the tablet!

    ReplyDelete